|Eye Facts by the Averages
Considering our eyes are made up of 2 million working parts, there’s a lot of intricate pieces working together to allow us to see the world. Read these interesting vision facts to learn more about your eyes.
Just how often does the average person blink?
- 12 times every minute
- 10,000 blinks in a day
- 4,200,000 blinks in a year
And, each blink lasts about 1/10th of a second.
Eyes at birth
Our eyes do amazing things, even before we are born.
- In the womb, eyes develop around six weeks and eyelids form around seven weeks. Eyelids develop around week ten, closing at the end of the first trimester and remaining closed until the third trimester starts.
- The average baby won’t cry real tears until 4 to 13 weeks old.
Vision Correction and Diseases
How widespread are vision problems?
- A little over 60 percent of the US adult population use some kind of vision correction, from reading glasses and prescription glasses to contacts.
- 80 percent of vision impairment in the world is treatable.
- About 10 percent of American children under the age 12 need vision correction.
Most employers – 73 percent – offer some kind of vision benefit, making it easy to schedule recommended eye exams.